Friday, December 23, 2011

A Merry Christmas Carol

I’ve been reading The Annotated Christmas Carol, the Charles Dickens classic with an introduction and notes by Michael Patrick Hearn. Yes, I’m actually reading something academic without the need of pictures and word bubbles. This is an impressively researched volume of work with the introduction itself nearly twice as long as the original text. This was actually a gift to me from last Christmas, but I’ve been saving it to read prior to this holiday.

I’ve always loved A Christmas Carol, and the countless interpretations and performances I’ve seen. I remember the George C. Scott television movie as being somewhat big event in our household when it was on. One of those rare occasions where we were allowed to stay up late to watch it. There have been all sorts of character adaptions from Mickey Mouse to the Muppets. There was even this strange Mr. Magoo version I have memories of. The Alastair Sim version is sitting on my DVR as I write this. I’ve seen many staged versions, my favorite being the one done here in Cincinnati at Playhouse in the Park. Oddly enough, I’d never committed to reading it before.

The book itself was a fast read, deceptively simple in message yet so complex in theme. I was more taken by the introduction and notes that I continue to read through. What I find striking is just how things haven’t changed much since Dickens was inspired to write this. There was a great financial instability at the time. Profit was largely gained at the expense of others. There were the haves and the have-nots. There was a great deal of concern that the true traditional meanings of Christmas were being lost.

Dickens grew up in poverty, which was a reoccurring theme in his works. His was a classic case of never forgetting where he came from. His success placed him among those who he felt did not do enough to care for their fellow man. I’ve struggled this holiday with my lack of generosity. I know there are so many in need, but yet I so distrust the many who take advantage of the generosity of others. For every magical story there is a negative tale of corruption. For every K-Mart layaway paid of by an anonymous donor, there is a person stealing church funds. I’ve crafted my own ways of giving to others, and I have to trust that these are the things that keep my chain from getting ponderous.

The top story of the year is the great divide between the top 1% and the rest of us. Most will agree that want and ignorance has caused great financial instability around the world. Scrooge and Marley spent their lives focused on financial gain, to the point that neither had anything else to share it with. I do find it strange that Scrooge did nothing with his wealth, seemingly only driven to keep it from others. Much like the politicians that are currently making things worse for us, Scrooge was out of touch with the struggle of the common man. Nearly 170 years later and we have not the redemption that Scrooge found. I feel like the Ghost of Christmas Present stands among us warning us of a bleak future that will remain unaltered without efforts to change.

I know of many Bob Cratchits. Decent men of personal sacrifice to remain providers for their families. Not is not the time to quarrel with inconveniences of job satisfaction. The fear of “losing my situation” haunts me even greater now that I have dependants. There is nothing I want more in life than to be able to provide a Merry Christmas for my child every year.

I fully embrace the spirit of Christmas that Dickens celebrates. I always have. I understand the reason for the season, but one doesn’t have to fully embrace religion in order to properly celebrate the day. Why can’t one evaluate their humanity if but once a year? When else would one take the time to do so? One glance at Facebook paints a picture of how people feel about the holidays. Many embrace it, others are righteous, and some dread it. Each passing year I get more reflective around the holidays, and I find that valuable. The perspective that age brings lets you analyze Christmas past. The security of the moment lets you appreciate Christmas present. The responsibility is yours to take what you’ve learned to guarantee a merry Christmas future. To me, Christmas is family. You pass along Christmas spirit from generation to generation. This was Dickens primary concern, and the reason he wanted to write this story. He wanted to craft something that could be shared in celebration of traditions he felt were being lost. Christmas was passed along to me by my parents, and I look forward to passing along what they shared with me. I think that is what I’m most excited about this Christmas, and I fully intend to make rather merry on this day.

My Christmas blessing to you is to find clarity of spirit. It is never too late to better your place in the world. Find resolution in your regrets. Enrich the life of someone else. Be generous, not just monetarily. Be better than your word.

God bless you... yes... everyone of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment